Friday, April 22, 2005

A quick warning...

Okay, it's Friday and I don't want to waste a lot of your time. There's a lot of juicy new posts...and accordingly they have to do with earthday. (And Q-dawg has a dilly...you might just want to skip down a bit, and read that first!) This, doesn't. I just have to alert you to a wave of social conditioning that's happened without your awareness...or maybe it has! I dunno.

Look, cellphones are cool, nobody's discounting that (at least here at the West Coast Branch of Fjord) but this whole "separate mic and headphone" thing is just fucking dangerous as hell to normal civilians who by now (if you live in any sort of urban area) have developed senses to detect deranged and crazy people, and avoid them.

See the first time I saw some guy talking on a cell phone without using a phone at all, I thought he was crazy as fuck. I actually looked for someplace to escape to, just in case. Then I noticed he was dressed in a 700 dollar suit and had clean shoes. I looked closer and saw the wire hanging down, and realized what he was doing. Well, after a couple of years, I got used to people talking to themselves, realizing, they're not nuts...they're talking on the phone.

Today, I came face to face with how wrong it was. Instead of relying on 15 years of urban conditioning, I looked at the lady walking down the street talking to herself rather loudly. In an instant I picked up the condition of her clothes - no not a deranged lunatic, too well dressed for that - must be talking on the phone. Until she was within five feet, and I saw her eyes!

Holy fuck! Her brain was buried on Uranus 40,000 feet down! She was ranting about ice and washing machines and dust covers or whathefuckever. We met gazes and for a second, I thought, "Am I going to get in a close combat fist-a-cuffs fight-off with a ravenously insane woman?!?" Cause, I wasn't ready. Luckily she passed without incident. But I gotta warn you, that nutcase talking to themselves might just want to rip out your throat with their teeth. And you should be ready.

Ha-ppy Fri-day.

2 comments:

RICANDOLL said...

I SO know what you mean!! Thats happened to me before, too- only with a guy downtown. He didn't look like a loon, but I realized he kept yelling the same curse words out over and over again. ("muthaf*ka! g-d*amn sh*thead!) He even appeared to be yelling at me as he passed. I was freaked. Ya just never know.

D.T. said...

Just another P.S.A. from your Fjordpals(tm)

I figured this had probably happened to others...