Friday, April 01, 2005

I guess I should repost this one...

seeings how the end seems near. However, I'd like to add two new categories for the New Pope Pool. RoboPope, and ZombiePope which shouldn't be discounted.

While I must say, I'm personally saddened by the Pontiff's deteriorating health, I'm getting pretty excited to see who's gonna walk away with that cool Pope hat!

(from 2/24/05)

(...lots of stuff cut out before we get to the heart of the matter...like most of my posts...)


Howabout a Pope Pool!

No You Sicko’s! Not a Pope death pool. A more sporting and positive pool, based on the values and good nature of those of us responsible for Fjord. Also, one based on the legal and traditional structure of the Catholic faith and Vatican Law! I mean, let’s bet on which cardinal will become the next Pope!!

Here’s a brief rundown
http://www.catholic-pages.com/pope/election.asp


the Cardinal Electors enter the Conclave to choose which of them will emerge as Holy Roman Pontiff. The Cardinals must take an oath when they first enter the Conclave that they will follow the rules set down by the Pope and that they will maintain absolute secrecy about the voting and deliberations. The penalty for disclosing anything about the conclave that must be kept secret is automatic excommunication.

So basically a bunch of Cardinals go in and vote for the next Pope.

Oooh, this part’s cool. ---
If a new Pope has been elected, the papers are burned with to give white smoke. Otherwise, they give off black smoke, so that the waiting crowds, and the world, know whether their new Holy Father will soon emerge from the Sistine Chapel.

Pretty Suspenseful! Anyways…

To be elected Pope, one Cardinal must receive more than two-thirds of the votes. Except that if 30 elections have taken place without any one Cardinal being elected Pope, then the Cardinals may then elect by simple majority. Once a Cardinal has received the required number of votes, the Dean of the College of Cardinals asks him if he accepts election and by what name he wishes to be called as Pope. On giving assent, the Cardinal immediately becomes Pontifex Maximus, the Holy Roman Pontiff.

COOL!!

So those are the rules! Now, here are the Cardinals (there’s like 183 of ‘em, and I don’t want to cover the next three screens with lists of potential Pontiffs…so hit the link and check those dudes out!) I’m sure you’ll find a couple you like…
http://www.catholic-pages.com/hierarchy/cardinals_list.asp


BTW – due to Vatican legaleeze, there are only 119 guys that actually can VOTE to see who becomes the next Pope!

TOTAL CARDINAL ELECTORS: 119

Okay, so here we have a huge field, and for those of us not familiar with Vatican politics (heh, like we know who YOU THREE are) just check out this handy website, that has all the major players, handicapped with odds!

http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/Next-Pope.htm


so pick your favorite horse, and ride him all the way to the top of the Vatican hierarchy! The winner will receive a Fjord prize pack (so far made up of a worn Dario Tsunami T-shirt, with some coffee stains on it…but it might get better) Besides, What exactly, are you doing that’s more important than this?

2 comments:

RICANDOLL said...

Okay..
I'm guessing it will HAVE to be a bishop. They wouldn't choose a young Pope. (Those sneaky guys.)
I've gone over the list of the 9 Bishops, and I have to say- H.E. Roger Card. ETCHEGARAY (France) has got my vote. Besides Trujillo's "Gotcha!" shot, his photo looks the friendliest.

I was going to put my dough on B.G. Re, but he looks too "full of life" as opposed to Ghattas who looks almost completely lifeless.

Gantin- He should hang it up. They aren't going to let a black guy be Pope. As for Sfeir, didn't he disappear around the 911 crisis?

If I had to take a guess on who the two top dogs were, it would definitely have to be Etchegaray and Sodano. Can I have 2?

By the way DT, don't mean to scare you- but doesn't Ratzinger look like a zombie to you?
Rican (Damn...and I'm Catholic-and I knew about the voting system and cool smoke btw.)

D.T. said...

Ratzinger does have a certain zombie-like quality, I'll give you that. But with a name like Ratzinger, it kinda makes up for it. Can't you just see the Devil clenching his fist after being foiled by the Pope and hear him shout, "RATZINGER!!!"

cause I can.