Monday, June 13, 2005

WHO IS DARIO TSUNAMI??

Whoah...whoah...easy there tiger, that, was a typo. I mean, my real identity is like the location of Dick Cheney's undisclosed location. VERBOTEN! I meant to write, "HOW IS DARIO TSUNAMI?"

I've just been getting a whole lot of concerned inquiries as to the whole "Earthquake" thing that rocked our little West Coast burg yesterday. Let's just say, I'm fine, the Casa's fine, my terrarium with my deadly collection of spiders and scorpions...is fine. But thanks for asking.

For those of you who don't know, or who have never lived thru an earthquake, here's my poor attempt to describe it.

Yesterday's shaker was 5.6 - which is quite big if you're close to the epicenter. As it turns out it was a few hundred miles away from me, which, of course, is not close. However, it did move my house. I was awakened somewhere between 8-9 o'clock from my slumbers to the sound of my place moving...which is always announced by the moving of the window panes. Because they move (not being directly attatched to the building) at a different frequency, they all give off a kind of weird crack when they catch up. Then things started to rumble.

In the middle of my bed, I had the distinct realization of knowing what was happening, and doing what all good Californians do in such a situation. You ask yourself, "Is this a bad one?" I was very alert for a moment, and thought, this feels like one of those coin-operated "vibrators" that used to be on beds in motels all across the country. I realized it weren't too bad. Shortly thereafter it stopped. I remember for the next couple of minutes I was very alert for "aftershocks" which can be as strong or stronger than the original quake. After two minutes with nothin', I went back to bed.

And that's it. Pretty anti-climactic huh?

No comments: