Monday, April 24, 2006

So there was this thing...see...

actually, it was a string of 'em. Some people call it a 'power outage,' but I sure like the word "Blackout" a whole lot better. The big one was timed perfectly, in order to interrupt the second half of a playoff basketball game.

Anyways, I was pretty much un-aware of how much I liked electricity, until it went away. No teevee, no coffee-maker, no internet, no light, no electric guitar, no caller I.D. (tho the phone still worked) luckily I had a couple of extra flashlights.

Anyhoo - I left the Casa Aloha (as it was a small, and localized um, utility-outage) went to see Inside Man, which was a nice afternoon caper movie. I thought the story was kinda' dull, and the dialogue had flashes, but wasn't amazing. But the cast did quite a lot with what they had to work with, and it turned out to be kind of fun.

Upon coming back, I realized that all the fire-doors in the building are held open with electro-magnets. This means that if anything happens to the power supply, all the fire doors close automatically. Not a bad safety feature, I figgered. However, I did some speculating, and came up with the idea that if there are electro-magnets holding open the doors on all the floors, I might just be able to turn the whole building into a particle-accelerator.

And that...just might be my new summer project.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.mnforsustain.org/oil_duncan_r_olduvai_cliff_revisited.htm

Anonymous said...

click me

Anonymous said...

Seven intervals of the Industrial Age (1930 - 2030):

1. From 1930 to 1945 energy-per-capita shows irregular growth during the Great Depression and World War II
2. The strong growth from 1945 to 1970 correlates with the strong growth in world oil and natural gas production.
3. The slowing growth of energy-per-capita from 1970 to 1979 reflects slackening oil production.
4. The rugged Plateau from 1979 to 2003 shows that energy production ran neck-in-neck with population growth.
5. The Brink from 2004 to circa 2008 represents the energy industry's struggle to keep up with rising demand.
6. The Olduvai Cliff from circa 2008 to 2030 correlates with a spreading epidemic of permanent blackouts.
7. From 2030 onward society approaches the agrarian level of existence.