Thursday, April 27, 2006

Linguistic Equations

Someone who played guitar at a level that will be impossible for me to ever reach, once told me,
"Words are slippery."

I never thought once, in the lengthening time between the moment when those words were spoken, and now, that he was wrong.

Words are horribly slippery, even when there's nothing of importance to relate. And it's a hell of a lot harder to communicate any words effectively (whether thu voice, paper, or email) when there's something really at stake. Sometimes that's the nicest thing about being a correspondent for Fjord, I can type out a post that reeks of stench, and you, my forgiving (and most attractive of all audiences...man you look good right now! I could just...OOooooh!) readers will chalk it up to a "bad day at the keyboard."

Anyways, outside of Fjord, I've been working on a script (fer...oh, about a year now) that's getting to the almost nearly polished phase. And for the last month or so, I've been devoting a ton more time to it, cause I can feel it getting close. (Which is why my head hasn't been quite so much stuck in the Fjord as of late.)

I don't mean to say that concocting something over here is easy (as those of you with blogs/webzines of your own, know) there's got to be a beginning, and middle, and end...and if you want to be entertaining, a nice twist in there somewhere. Now, apart from that, it's also supposed to make sense. Words have a value, that adds up logically...and unlike numbers (or maybe just like numbers) replacing one (or a string of them) with another, will change a lot of meaning. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is words are slippery.

And at the moment I have a humungus 115 page word equation that I've been working on for a year. It's going to take me another month before it'll be close to being right, (and it'll be good, don't kid yourself) but that doesn't mean that, once done, it'll change the world (like E=MC2), or make me a rich man (like, those guys who wrote the Matrix). Words are slippery. I might actually say something so profound it could change your life for years. And if you don't like what I say, I'm not even a thought you consider after you realize you have to do the dishes.

weird, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn

D.T. said...

Word...