Thursday, June 26, 2008

Staunchly Opposed To This Footwear...

"Flip-flops" or "thongs" - Just cannot for the life of me get behind this hideously ugly, and demonically impractical abomination of "shoe."

This little article brings a little research to the subject (yes, it appears they actually spent money looking at this...sigh...I coulda' just told em.

The Auburn team videotaped 39 flip-flop-wearing volunteers and noticed how they scrunched their toes to keep the flip-flip on the foot while the heel lifted in the air. This motion stretches the plantar fascia, the connective tissue that runs from heel to toe, causing inflammation, pain along the sole, heel spurs and tired feet in general.

These symptoms were actually what flip-flop wearers at Auburn University had reported upon returning to classes in the fall. An entire summer of flip-flop wearing had taken its toll.

The researchers also found that the volunteers altered their gait , taking shorter strides and turning their ankles inward, likely to keep the flip-flop from falling off. This, the researchers worry, can cause long-term ankle and hip problems.


Of course, this study does nothing to touch on a more important fact, which is - if you turned the corner wearing these awful things, and were confjronted by a rabid dog, (or a pack of coyotes, wolverines, angry possums, mountain puma, hell insert yours here) you my friend, would be in big trouble. Running is out, kicking for self-defense is out, yer just screwed. Creatures in nature have a whole array of of signals to warn predators of bad consequences - the skunk, the porcupine, the wasp, hell even the Monarch butterfly is colorful because it's poisoness! Wearing flip-flops is like giving up, and announcing to the entire animal kingdom - I AM HELPLESS PREY - EAT ME!


This, however, does not.

Yep, signals.
You are sending them all the time. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

D.T. said...

If I had regular commentors like I used to, I would have been instantly defending the last pic in this post by saying "NO I DO NOT WEAR WOMEN'S BOOTS - SENDING CRAZY SIGNALS TO WHOEVER MIGHT BE WATCHING/READING FJORD!" I'm just sayin' one pic sends a signal of prey, and one sends a signal of predator. If you can't determine which is which, contact me and I'll set you straight....

Yers,
-Tsunami-

D.T. said...

*Sigh* I'm actually now posting comments to my own pieces...

It wasn't supposed to go down like this, man...

rhinoceros said...

Haha, classic that one, the post and the comment and comment.

Permit me to comment. Thongs were definetely a stoner invention. It was like hardly no degrees here the other day, I'm driving home from work and I see some lazy looking type, you know the look, slow walk, says 'yeah' a lot, in shorts and thongs. Meanwhile I have several layers and still cold. I think the thong wearers are a bit existential - If I die, so be it.

But what I was going to say before I rudely interrupted with that tangent, is that the shoe thing can be interpreted Freudianly. Or lets just say, one looks way more sexy than the other.