Sunday, November 06, 2005

I've just made my own day

I bought Achtung Baby at a garage sale for 25 cents.

Ya, ya, I know...it's not "current" or anything...jeebuz, it's from 1991 for Gjod's sake and I gots to tell ya, writing that year out, actually makes me realize how fucking old I am.

I'm one of those people that actually gave a fuck when U2 changed from their New-Wave, post-punk Irish-strife roots to their current bigger-than-the Beatles mode. I thought they had sold out...and I thought that sucked, cause they were gooooood.

About this time, I was working as a valet for a ritzy Chinese restaurant, and for the first time in my valet career, I was assigned to drive off a fucking sweet Jaguar Xj6, and honest...it was the first (and last) time I ever drove a jag. As I took off to park the ride, I figgered, "When are you ever going to drive a Jag again?" And I took that car for a ride...

Now, somehow...someone...the person that owned the fucking car, had Achtung Baby in the C.D. player. Now driving through downtown Minneapolis in a jag, sorta' puts your mind in a different place. "One" came on, and I cruised past some traffic, and realized, I had been wrong about the whole thing. It was fucking awesome.

So now, 14 years later, I own the gjoddamn cd. Bought for 25 cents, and I've been blasting it for the last 35 minutes at the max volume of my cd/dvd stereo surround sound. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Oh, and shortly before I found this C.D. at the before-mentioned garage sale, I found what I had been looking for. A Gjoddamn crown. I offered the fella 26 cents for it (that was all I had in cash money) and he said,
"No, just take it...
It looks good on you."

I may, without even really trying...

have become the King of Hollywood.


Now, If I could just get my grubby little hands on a Jag...

No comments: