Friday, September 07, 2007

Hi Everybloody!

So lemme start off this post by sayin', I once watched a rugby game on the clable teleevision, and thought, "Holy craps this is cool." Then I asked a few people what the fjuck was goin' on here, and got a few answers, and then I thought, I'll just catch a few games and find out myself. Of course, a large number of months later, and I haven't seen anything. Until I find out thru the Beeb there's a World Cup of Rugby goin' on in Paris!

Sooo anyhoo, I gots me a temp-worker in the Casa Aloha H.Q. who's been a strange character to say the least, and today we gets to talking about sports, and after I mention there's a world cup of rugby goin' on he asks, "Have you ever seen the New Zealand team do their war dance?" And I'm all, "No, but I bet I could find it on youtube."

Anyways, I did. It's called the "haka" and it looks something like this.



So anyhoo, I gets to looking at the wide variety of youtube versions of their pre-game ritual, (and some are better than others, this seemed to capture the whole thing pretty well for folks just dialing in to Channel Fjord who, like me, know shit about rugby. But after watching more than a few, I kept on wondering, what kept the opposing squad from doing anything but standing there like rubes with your arms linked around your teammates' shoulders in some sort of pathetic solidarity, and just taking this kind of psychout shit!?

Then, after a few (or a lot, it's kinda all blended together) more looks I found New Zealand Vs the Tongans, which you should really see.




Anywise, happy gjoddamn and merry fuckin. It's Friday and it's finally cooled down in Los Angeleeze, and that's a lot to be happy about.

1 comment:

rhinoceros said...

Aha, glad this finally has been posted. Rugby is a tremendous sport.

Example. There's a guy lying on the grass, and the vast scrum of players, standing up and around him (say he just happened to fall in the heat of the moment.) Well, when I was just learning the sport, this amazed me. The opposing players, who are standing, are well within the games well-written laws to stomp on the player, mo matter where.

So I am watching this game with a friend, and I am like, "Shit, he just stomped on that chaps face." Literally one second later the commentator was like, "He is well within his rights to do that." I was impressed.

The Kiwi's love their Rugby, they had a great player called Jonah Lomu, check in on the Tube too if you get a chance. They found him hard to tackle.