Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thursday entered the room softly...

wearing slippers that were sewn in the shape of rabbits.
"Shhhh," came out of his mouth. Then he whispered, "Try not to wake
the little ones!"

I attended the Banksy show on Saturday, and it was definitely worth it.
What was striking was for a guy with no known public face, and from
what I gathered was a small public following...the place was packed.
Since the exhibition took place in a artsy-sized warehouse space, that's
actually saying something. I'm not at liberty to say how many of those
visiting were just L.A. scenesters, and how many were actually fans,
but Banksy's stuff is pretty accessible, and it'd be hard to see this
many pieces of his work and not walk away thinking it was pretty cool.

I took some random shots - but since my technology-issues - I seem to have misplaced my usb cable that fits my digi-cam. Until I find it, we'll have to settle for some more...err, public shots...

The most mind-boggling piece was the elephant. It took me a
little bit of time to process...I thought it was stuffed. Then after
I saw it move, a few more seconds before thinking, "cool - animatronic
robot elephant!" Then I watched it eat some hay. "Holy crap! Real
elephant! Stenciled to look like the wallpaper."

Anyways - there was some press about the elephant where some
people got pretty mad at him for using a real creature for this piece. I'm not going
to say I didn't feel a little sorry for the guy, but got a hell of a lot
more out of the experience when I read the back of his little card...

There's an elephant in the room.

There's a problem that we never talk about.
The fact is life isn't getting any fairer.
-1.7 Billion people have no access to clean drinking water.
-20 Billion people live below the poverty line.
-Every day hundreds of people are made to feel physically sick by morons at art shows telling them how bad the world is but never actually doing something about it.

Anybody want a free glass of wine?

***
I haven't seen anything else pop up on the radar...so I'm assuming Banksy's skipped town.


In a very Bansky-esque performance there's this guy who dressed up like
a terra cotta soldier in china - and jumped in with the rest of them, and stood really still while guards looked around for him. If that's not art, I dunno what is.

No comments: