Monday, May 04, 2009

Emu Flu, Hawk Flu...

Lemur Flu, Toad Flu, Sushi Flu...on and on it goes, until people just get bored and move on. Of course, nobody cares until the next outbreak!

Anyhoo - let's move on.

I ended up at the JPL's open house yesterday, and walked around looking at robot landers and space probes and tons of super-duper hi-tech space gear. The best part about this event is there are a whole mess of JPL people standing around by their mock-ups or whatever, and you can just walk right up and ask, 'What do you do?" Of course, they're all rocket-scientists who are like, "I operate the robot arm on the Phoenix Lander...finding water-ice was pretty cool." Or "I design sensor arrays for satellites that will find and analyze extra-solar planets."

The thing that stands out when you're talking to these people, is their job satisfaction is through the roof. I suppose it's not really surprising, when most of us go to work and someone's like, "You! File this stack of crap!" These people design spacecraft, build them, and shoot 'em off to distant planets. I'm envious...but I'm also bad at math.

4 comments:

rhinoceros said...

can i refer you to a link (one of my old posts).

can I also refer to your first comment on the very post.

you can't get away with anything on the net - not that there is anything machievelian about any of this - just the fact it will all be brought back one day.

D.T. said...

You have just confused me to the point of total curiosity!

rhinoceros said...

this swine flu has hit me pretty hard. Geez.

Link

http://wanderingrhino.blogspot.com/2008/05/animals-in-space.html

and your 1st comment too which relates to this post.

(Its on the symptom list for sure - forgetting to paste link into comments)

D.T. said...

haha...you're rite!!