Tuesday, January 31, 2006

As I was debating the various

Legal and ethical arguments around cloning (of which, I am staunchly anti-clone btw) and I saw two angels standing at the ticket machine in the subway-station.

This, I thought, was unusual.

One ran up to put money in the thing, while the other stood with an absolutely massive bouquet of balloons. Maybe 25-30 of 'em, floating gently about eight feet above her wings. It wasn't just that the angels were in yer typical angel costume, it was the talcum powdery color of their skin, that made me take a second look.

Anyways, since the one with the balloons didn't come over straight away to me and thrust the mass out at me, I realized, they weren't my angels, they were someone elses. (and don't think the fact that they were taking the train made me wonder if they were even real angels...after all, wouldn't a really good angel take the most responsible of all transportation - public transportation?) Now, I didn't so much as get jealous, as wonder, was there anyone out there trying to clone Angels!?

Being an inventive race of humanids, I'm sure we've nabbed a few (perhaps in the deep Pentagon Dungeons of the Special & Magical Creature Detention Facility) where they reside in anti-magic/holy power containment fields, next to Leprechauns and Unicorns and 3-headed Hell Dogs...all awaiting the same terrible fate...Weponization. But anyways, I digress. Apart from the difficulties in the basic genetic structure of these wondrous creatures that resists weaponization, I think there'd be a pretty big market for your standard Angel. Of course, there's probably a stigma that goes along with a cloned Angel. I mean, standard angel magic is one thing, but would you be 100% trustful of some Clone Angel Magic? It'd be like your car was falling off the edge of the cliff, and you go,

"Hey angel - make with the flying car routine!" You'd say. And the little Angel waves her wand or whatever and the car stops falling towards those jagged rocks, and instead, starts crossing the deep chasm. Whereupon, some slight defect (undetected by the boys at the lab, or Inspector 12 - who's paper slip was found in the bottom of the box that shipped your Angel via FedEx) in it's magical genetic makeup, causes your car to then turn into a giant colander - with holes just the right size for letting humans slip through. And you do.

I think that's the problem with cloned angels. (and Leprechauns and Unicorns, and 3-headed hell hounds) people just wouldn't quite trust them to come through in a pinch. Course, if they were really really cheap, I'm pretty sure I'd pick up a couple.

Maybe I'm not so staunchly anti-clone after all.

No comments: